SOMERSET COUNTY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
TO SERVE CHILDREN WHO HAVE BEEN ABUSED OR NEGLECTED
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
148 Main Street, Building D1, Lebanon NJ 08833
Contact Person: Tracey Heisler
- CASA volunteer advocates are appointed by family court judges to ensure that the best interests of children who have been abused or neglected and are in DYFS care are met. In order to do this, the CASA volunteer advocate must investigate the facts of the case, recommend a course of action to the court, facilitate the resolution of the presenting problems, and monitor the progress toward the established goals. CASA SHAW serves children in Somerset, Hunterdon, and Warren Counties in central New Jersey.
- Serve on the Board of Trustees.
- Volunteer to help on Fund Raisers and community outreach to spread the news of CASA’s good work and ways to help children in “out-of-home” placements.
- Family search and connect–help us to locate children’s relatives and encourage those relatives to visit with and support the child while the child is not living at his/her home.
540 Route 22 East Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Contact Person: Luann Dias, Executive Director
- Catholic Charities Connections Program is actively recruiting volunteers to work as mentors with children ages 5-17. Mentors offer support, guidance, and education as a youth goes through a difficult time, faces new challenges or opportunities, or takes on an important task. A mentor is a person who is willing to share their life-long expertise to provide support to the youth. Mentors can play an important role as the youth develops mentally and emotionally to help a youth understand their goals and personal needs. Mentors must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Prospective mentors will undergo an intensive screening process consisting of: application and informal autobiography.
Family and Community Services of Somerset County
339 West 2nd Street Bound Brook, NJ 08805
Family Support Organization
315 W Washington Ave., Wasahington, NJ 07882
Jewish Family Services
150 W. High Street #A Somerville, NJ 08876
Contact Person: Jerry Starr
Phone Number: 908-208-7444
- Adult volunteers of all backgrounds, male and female, are sought for matching with Somerset County families with preschool and elementary age children. The volunteer provides support by offering parenting strategies and a good listening ear. The mentor and family meet in the family’s home to build on the family’s strengths, foster positive changes, and learn new ways to interact and have fun as a family. 9 hours training (3 hours for 3 weeks) in the evenings. Ongoing supervision provided by JFS licensed social work staff. Volunteer may indicate geographic preferences.
- Adult Volunteers to work with and mentor parents whose children have been returned to them by the Division of Youth and Family Services
520 North Bridge Street (Near Richard Hall Community MHC) Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Contact Person: Maria Strada
- Volunteers to help supervise the youth that attend the Somerville or Bound Brook Community Youth Center program and help those young people who are in need of extra attention with homework, employment readiness skills, etc.
- Work with staff to consider ways that the young people may give back to the community by doing community service and be involved hands-on in helping to make it happen.
- Expose our kids to more creative arts and expressions by doing workshops with our youth
- Board of Trustees membership
- Volunteers to help with fund raising activities and special events
Prevent Child Abuse New Jersey
103 Church Street, Suite 210
New Brunswick, NJ 08512
Contact Person: Kelly Steve
Somerset Community Action Program
900 Hamilton St.,
Somerset, NJ 08873
Contact Mark Harris, Executive Director
Somerset Treatment Services
118 West End Avenue Somerville, NJ 08876
908-722-1232 ext 3011
Contact Person: Barbara Schlichting
Safe + Sound Somerset (Formally Resource Center of Somerset)
427 Homestead Road Hillsborough, NJ 08844
Contact Person: Veronica Finlay
In October 2021, Safe and Sound assumed responsibility for working with sexual abuse victims. Volunteers need special training provided by Safe and Sound.
55 North Gaston Avenue, Somerville, NJ 08876
Contact Person: Lisa Galonardo